Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Getting ready to go!

Konnichiwa!  This is my very first blog and I'm so excited to be able to SHOW AND TELL you all about the wonders of Kyoto and the craziness of studying intensive language overseas!   I'm going to Kyoto to study Japanese--about the equivalent of one year's study--for two months.  I am very thankful to the United States Department of State for offering me a fully funded scholarship (Critical Language Scholarship), affording a great opportunity to not only learn language but also foster many valuable friendships.  I hope you enjoy this blog and that its contents will be useful to you for when you decide to travel to the "Land of the Rising Sun."

Right now, I know little of what to expect other than I'm going in the thick of monsoon season and unfortunately my rain boots won't fit into my bag.  Yep, I'm trying to travel through Japan for two months using only a duffle and a carry-on suitcase...  Thank you, I'm going to need that good luck.  While I did manage to fit everything into my suitcase on my trial run, it weighs about 45-50 pounds, so I think I'll have to ditch the 20 count fig newton packs.  :(  Goodbye comfort food.  I do, however, have about 20 packets of oatmeal and 15 Planters peanut energy bars so breakfast is still safe!  I'm pretty sure since my Hello Kitty duffle looks small but operates pretty much like the Bag of Holding I should be able to fit everything else in there.  Part of the reason it is so full is because the Japanese are BIG on gift giving, so I have made 10 treat bags to hand out, 5 with tea from Amanzi and Milano cookies and 5 with a Duke keychain and pencil and some candy.  I found these little treat bags to be a big hit the last time I was in Japan on SWY.

So, the next stop is Washington DC for orientation from June 10-12th and then off to Japan.  I'm pretty sure the government is going to add at least another 15 pounds of weight to my bag in paper.  I know SWY did.  I'm pretty sure we killed a miniature forest, so I'll have to plant a few trees when I get back.

I plan to keep you posted with all the ins and outs of Japanese travel and making new friends so you will be BIG in Japan too!  Standby for updates!




*As per US Department of State requirements, I am putting out the disclaimer that this blog is not affiliated with the CLS Program or the US Department of State, and any opinions expressed herein are solely the opinions of the blogger and do not reflect or represent the opinions of the State Department or CLS Program

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to follow all the action and adventures of your trek!

    ReplyDelete